Ten books that will inspire you to book a trip, pack those bags, and travel around the world
A bookworm’s bucket list is filled with places they have read about. Whether the book is fiction or non-fiction, reading about places you have never even heard of before, will want you to pack up your bags, leave everything behind, and travel around the world. Some of these books have been made into movies, inspiring more people to travel. Here are my personal favorites.
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. If you are yearning to travel to places you have never been before, but lack the courage to do so; this book will inspire you to take that trip and just follow your dream.
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Garrett. Sometimes it takes a devastating incident to make you courageous enough to take steps to fulfill your dreams. This book will bring you to Italy, India, and Indonesia. The book was made into a movie starring Julia Roberts.
- Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. In the process of discovering the secrets of the Tarahumara Indians who can run miles without getting tired, the author will take you to breathtaking valleys, canyons and mountains across North America. A must read for runners.
- Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips by National Geographic. Provides a glimpse of the world's most famous and lesser known travel destinations. Reading the book will take you to places you have not even heard of before.
- Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine. A book that will inspire you to travel and see a variety of animals on the brink of extinction. Highly recommended for nature lovers.
- Life is a Trip: the transformative magic of travel by Judith Fein. This book will teach you how to open your heart and soul to traveling even if things do not turn out the way you want it. Embrace the experience and find pleasure in traveling.
- Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman. What to do when you feel like everything is simply stagnating? You travel solo and see the world in an entirely different light. The book will bring you to Guatemala, Mexico, the Galapagos Islands, and other fascinating places.
- The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey Ernesto Che Guevara, Cintio Vitier, and Aleida Guevara. My all-time favorite. It is based on the travels of Che Guevara across Latin America. It features unpublished photos taken by Che Guevara. It is a journey to self-realization.
- Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer. A memoir that was originally published in 1953. It will take you across rugged mountains, godforsaken plains, and to the enigmatic and mysterious heartland of Tibet where the author had the pleasure of meeting the Dalai Lama.
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. If you are afraid of change, this book will inspire you to leave everything behind and follow where you heart leads you. Heartbreaking and powerful, the book is based on the true story of Christopher Johnson McCandless.
These books will inspire you to travel and embrace the world beyond. Take the first step; consult your travel agent about the places you have read about, and start planning your trip.
by Sunshine Silva
in Before your trip