I was a bit skeptical of this icy continent's ability to host serious adventure opportunities...I mean, what else can you do on an icy landscape other than skating? Well, after some simple research, I have come up with the top 5 adventure opportunities in the icy continent that are amazing.
1. Antarctic Peninsula - This is the northern most part of the continental Antarctica and it lies between Cape Adams and a point on the mainland south of Eklund Islands. It is popular for its numerous research stations. You will see penguin species such as Chinstrap Penguin, Emperor Penguin, Gentoo penguin and the Adelie penguin. You can also spot the rare whale in the region.
2. Antarctic Polar Circle - The idea of being in the most southerly point in the world is almost unreal, yet, you can get there. Make sure you meet new people who are excited as you to get this far south. The icy landscape is worth capturing on your camera - remember this is an once-in-a-lifetime experience.
3. Weddell Sea - Weddel Sea is the bay formed between the coastlines of Coats Land and the Antarctic Peninsula. It is popular with thrill seekers due to the abundance of the whales’ sightings as well as the Diving Weddell Seals.
4. Cape Norvegia - If you love sea faring, then this is the easternmost point of the Antarctica. If you can afford it, you can be one of the few people that have made it this far
5. Elephant Island - This is an ice-covered mountainous island located in the outer reaches of the South Shetland Islands. The country is well placed for scientific studies, fishing and whaling activities. You can also watch the wildlife with animals such as Gentoo penguins and Elephant Seals.